About Me

My photo
Southeast, Florida, United States
I've had a love affair with books since I was a little girl. Once I discovered that stories could take me to amazing worlds where heroes and heroines could tackle insurmountable odds and yet live happily ever after, I was hooked. My overactive imagination always questions "what if?" and I often daydream about scenarios for the next story. Living in South Florida is a dream I fulfilled. For many years now, the balmy breezes, palm trees and surf crashing upon the shoreline have satisfied my soul. They often show up as settings for my stories. I used to say that I'd try anything once, but that was before some suggested skydiving, mountain climbing and swimming with sharks. Nowadays, I prefer the comfort of my chair in front of my computer where the most dangerous thing I face is writer's block. I let my characters tackle the impossible challenges and all I have to do is make sure they have a happy ending. I welcome readers to explore the fantastic world of my imagination where anything is possible and most likely will happen. Look for my books and e-books at Ellora's Cave, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and many other fine e-tailers

My Website gaildeyoung.com

My Website gaildeyoung.com
Click on this picture to take you there

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Marilyn Campbell Hijacked My Blog Today!




REMEMBERING MY FIRST TIME
(getting published, that is)

Once upon a time, long, long ago, I fantasized about being taken aboard the Starship Enterprise by Captain James T. Kirk and being the one female in all the Universe he couldn’t leave behind. Since I couldn’t turn that fantasy into reality, I decided to write a science fiction tale that allowed the hero and a lucky Earth girl (namely me) to have a happily ever after. Unfortunately, the publishers back then believed crossing genres was completely out of the question.

Sometime around my 70th rejection letter, I attended a Florida Romance Writers conference, where every editor and agent I approached confirmed the futility of writing the stories I wanted to tell. Thus, no longer caring what they thought of my mental stability, I attended a cocktail party and freely regaled the crowd with some off-color police stories. (Oh, it might help if you knew I was married to a Miami-Dade cop for a couple decades.) At the end of one anecdote, a young woman declared, “I want that book! When can you get it to me?” She was a Harlequin editor who thought I was relating an opening scene rather than an actual event. Although I had never read a category romance let alone considered writing one, I paused only a moment before replying, “In four weeks.” Although it wasn’t exactly Captain Kirk and the Enterprise, I figured this stranger was still offering me a shot at the stars.

Because of that unexpected opportunity, the anecdote became the opening scene in DAYDREAMS, my first published novel.  It was released in 1991 (yep, you read that right), under the pseudonym Marina Palmieri (my Sicilian grandmother’s name), because back then, publishers often included a clause in the contract whereby they legally owned the author’s name, even if it was her true name. Also way back then, I handwrote my manuscripts then typed them on a correcting Selectric typewriter. Adding one paragraph meant retyping a whole chapter. My first personal computer, a Commodore 64, was still a few years away (I was a bit of a holdout). Cell phones and the world wide web were in their infancy and I did research using a set of encyclopedias.

Well, I’m sure you are all aware of just how much technology has changed since then. So you can imagine how very excited I am to announce that, after substantial revisions and updating—technology is not the only thing that's changed—DAYDREAMS is now available in e-book at www.belgravehouse.com and most major e-tailers.

I think the new cover image perfectly depicts the tone of this contemporary romantic comedy about a yummy Miami cop with a penchant for daydreaming and a feisty housekeeper with a grounded agenda that leaves no room for a man in her life.

Blurb:  From the day he mistook Kathy Alvarez for a burglar, Officer Jake Slaughter’s daydreams focused on making her his wife. But Kathy’s marital experience convinced her to never give another man control over her or her child, no matter how sexy or considerate he is. Convincing Kathy to change her mind takes every seduction skill Jake has…and one he has yet to learn.

Tripling my delight, also re-released in e-book this month are PRETTY MAIDS IN A ROW and SEE HOW THEY RUN, the two sexy thrillers that put my name on bestseller lists fifteen years ago.

I always enjoy hearing from readers and invite you to visit my website to check out some of the other things I've done.

MARILYN CAMPBELL
Facebook: AuthorMarilynCampbell
Twitter: MarilynCampbel3
For excerpts and buy-links, please visit my Amazon Author Page:




10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see Marilyn here today!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for having me today, Gail!

Author Gail DeYoung said...

Marilyn,

It's so great to have you here today. Thanks for sharing your publishing experience with us. Wow, technology has truly made a difference! Congratulations on publishing your books in ebook format.

Evanne Lorraine said...

Congratulations on the re-releases, what a treat for readers :)

Marilyn Campbell said...

Thanks Evanne!
Failed to mention I just took the rebooting the backlist one step further yesterday and managed to upload my old Christmas novella, GHOSTS OF CHRISTMAS PAST onto Amazon alllll by myself. That was a big deal for lo-tech moi so I'm crowing a little today!

Kate Willoughby said...

Great story. I was in love with Kirk, too. LOL

Nina Paules said...

Hi Marilyn! Wonderful post. I love hearing how different authors got their start. I'm definitely going to have to catch your Ghost book. Love your thriller covers, btw. ;-)

Nina

Nina Paules said...

Oh, and I forgot to mention... I love Star Trek! Grew up on ST, fell in love with ST:TNG and cut my writers teeth on Peter David's IMZADI. Marily, you really gotta write your ST story, some time.

:-) Nina

Marilyn Campbell said...

Thanks for stopping by Kate & Nina! For anyone who doesn't know, Nina is the uber-talented lady who turned my two thrillers into e-books for me! I definitely prefer having her do all the work! FYI, the continuation of my journey into publishing is that I DID get my Star Trek tales sold shortly after Daydreams came out. They became my 4-book Innerworld Affairs that started with Pyramid of Dreams.

Kaily Hart said...

Hey, Marilyn & Gail! I'm late to the party, but I just got back from a school field trip. 3 days. 42 kids. 0 starbucks. Yeah, it was a bit like that :). Congratulations on your wonderful successes, Marilyn!! I think you're more techie savvy than you realize!!