About Me

My photo
Southeast, Florida, United States
I've had a love affair with books since I was a little girl. Once I discovered that stories could take me to amazing worlds where heroes and heroines could tackle insurmountable odds and yet live happily ever after, I was hooked. My overactive imagination always questions "what if?" and I often daydream about scenarios for the next story. Living in South Florida is a dream I fulfilled. For many years now, the balmy breezes, palm trees and surf crashing upon the shoreline have satisfied my soul. They often show up as settings for my stories. I used to say that I'd try anything once, but that was before some suggested skydiving, mountain climbing and swimming with sharks. Nowadays, I prefer the comfort of my chair in front of my computer where the most dangerous thing I face is writer's block. I let my characters tackle the impossible challenges and all I have to do is make sure they have a happy ending. I welcome readers to explore the fantastic world of my imagination where anything is possible and most likely will happen. Look for my books and e-books at Ellora's Cave, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and many other fine e-tailers

My Website gaildeyoung.com

My Website gaildeyoung.com
Click on this picture to take you there

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Scent-sational !

The other day, I drove by a tent filled with live Christmas trees and without even setting foot inside, I recalled the wonderful scent of fresh-cut pine trees. I couldn’t resist the urge to immerse myself in the ambiance created by those trees, so I parked my car and wandered down the aisles, inhaling the scent that reminded me of the upcoming holiday. In my mind, I was suddenly transported to Christmas Day, and my mouth watered at the thought of roast turkey, candied yams, corn pudding and gingerbread cookies. I could hardly wait for the party to begin. How I love getting together with family and friends at this time of year!

Isn’t it amazing how easily scents bring back memories? Just smelling chocolate chip cookies baking in the oven is enough to make me salivate. The scent triggers an automatic reflex and I can’t wait to sink my teeth into them, especially when they’re still warm and soft straight from the oven. I get a glass of ice cold milk ready for the moment they’re done, just like I did when Mom went on a baking spree. Fresh hazelnut coffee has the same effect on me because of the wonderful aroma of the beans as they’re brewing. But food is only one of the many scents that can set off an emotional response.

Think of baby powder and what comes to mind? A baby, squeaky clean from a bath. Is there any smell more wonderful than a baby wrapped in a fluffy towel? Then there are roses. Inhaling the scent brings back memories of being a teenage girl receiving a boutonniere from a boy taking me to my first prom! When I smell fresh-cut grass, it reminds me of my childhood, when on warm, summer days, I would sit inside the house with the windows open, and listen to my father running the lawnmower in the back yard. The wind would capture the scent and carry it to me.  If I didn’t know better, I’d think there was something magical about scents. Fragrance manufacturers know quite well how we respond to sensory stimulus, and take full advantage of our sense of smell.  I’ll bet you can recall your favorite perfume or cologne right now even if you’re not wearing it at the moment.

Because we’re so accustomed to our sense of smell, we take it for granted. But imagine not having it. Wouldn’t life be duller? Perhaps even less enjoyable? I believe the same holds true of a story that doesn’t take advantage of our sense of smell.  We don’t have to have the item in front of us to know what it smells like, because our memories are so great about recalling them. Whether the scent evokes a pleasant memory or one that is nasty (spoiled garbage, for instance), we still react to the image. That is why I try as often as possible to mention a scent in my stories. I think it adds a bit of spice to the story. I hope you agree.

Here’s wishing you and yours delightful, scent-sational holidays!  

       

No comments: