About Me

My photo
Southeast, Florida, United States
I've had a love affair with books since I was a little girl. Once I discovered that stories could take me to amazing worlds where heroes and heroines could tackle insurmountable odds and yet live happily ever after, I was hooked. My overactive imagination always questions "what if?" and I often daydream about scenarios for the next story. Living in South Florida is a dream I fulfilled. For many years now, the balmy breezes, palm trees and surf crashing upon the shoreline have satisfied my soul. They often show up as settings for my stories. I used to say that I'd try anything once, but that was before some suggested skydiving, mountain climbing and swimming with sharks. Nowadays, I prefer the comfort of my chair in front of my computer where the most dangerous thing I face is writer's block. I let my characters tackle the impossible challenges and all I have to do is make sure they have a happy ending. I welcome readers to explore the fantastic world of my imagination where anything is possible and most likely will happen. Look for my books and e-books at Ellora's Cave, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and many other fine e-tailers

My Website gaildeyoung.com

My Website gaildeyoung.com
Click on this picture to take you there

Monday, January 9, 2012

Kaily Hart Has Kidnapped My Blog!





My Blog sure is getting steamy today hope it's not too "hot" for you~! Please welcome our very special guest is Kaily Hart :)






Writing the ‘Hottie’


So…as a writer of hot and steamy romance it’s pretty much a given my heroes are hot hunks AKA “hotties”. I mean, the reader has to fall at least a little in love with the hero to really believe the heroine would fall madly in lust and then love with the guy for all eternity. Right? Of course, in romance, having a hero that’s a hottie means more than a pair of strong arms, lickable abs and an impressive…*cough*…you know. Although my heroes always have impressive ‘assets’ in that department of course LOL. There are other, non-physical, less tangible qualities that make a guy truly a hottie for me, which is probably why I rarely drool over a celebrity or even most pictures of guys I see, shirtless or not. Sure, I can appreciate the scenery, but I don’t know them, I don’t know who they are. I know this is going to sound corny, but I don’t know if they’re honorable, if they have integrity, if they’re respectful to women, if they’re strong, protective, if they’re a man of their word, because it’s these things combined together that great the “wow” hero for me and is the kind of hero I like to write. Of course, if you’ve read any of my books you’ll know my heroes aren’t perfect. Far from it. These qualities are all there, somewhere, deep down, when it really counts, but at first it might not be totally evident. I love to play the edge of “redeemability” with my heroes as well, although you can be sure he really is a good guy at the end of the day.

Case in point - I saw a gorgeous, ripped guy in the line in front of me at Starbucks the other day. He had on jeans and a simple, dark t-shirt. You could just make out the muscles of his biceps peaking out the sleeves, there was a hint of ink, he hadn’t shaved in a day or two and his hair had that slightly messed look. He was hard and lean and deliciously scruffy, a look not all guys can pull off. As a writer, I tend to notice details and I sure loved noticing his details as I filed away his entire appearance for later use J. He was HOT to look at that’s for sure, but do you know what the hottest thing about him was and why he stayed in my mind long after? When he ordered his drink he was so polite and courteous, so respectful of the clearly stressed woman behind the counter, I could have melted right then and there. There’s nothing hotter than a guy who looks like that, sounds like that (‘cause he had a voice to die for as well) and can still do something as simple as use good manners. And I could tell he made the baristas day.

Being a hottie is so much more than just good looks. This is one of the reasons I don’t spend a great deal of time on physical descriptions in my books. It’s sort of not as important as a heroes’ actions, his words, the way he interacts with the heroine, the way she makes him feel, how she makes him see himself and (sigh…) what lengths he’ll go to for her. And of course, I like the reader to use their own imagination to some degree to build a visual picture of the character, particularly the hero, because it has to be someone the heroine would be attracted to, someone the reader would believe the heroine would be attracted to and yeah…someone the reader would probably be attracted to J.

During this post I went searching for some pics of guys I consider “hot” and came up kinda empty. Sure, there were a lot of beautiful pictures of the male form but there are very few guys out there that have the entire package in my opinion. Maybe that’s why I write fiction? I can make up the dream guy, book after book LOL. In the end I went with one of the hottest pictures I’ve seen in awhile. I think it’s a combination of the obviously fit and healthy and gorgeous male, but there’s a story to the picture and the pose too. One of male relaxation, of confidence, of ‘who cares’ that I think I like as well. I sure do love a guy with attitude J.

So…tell me, what do you think makes a guy hot, a guy truly a “hottie”? I’ll pick a random commenter to receive their choice of an ebook from my backlist!



About Kaily

Kaily Hart, a seemingly straight-laced mother of four left corporate America and a high-powered, lucrative career to be a stay at home mom. Ha! That lasted about four weeks, during which time she realized she had a deeply repressed dream —to write. And romance at that! By day, Kaily plays conservative wife and soccer mom, but at night crafts hot and steamy tales of romance and love with gorgeous heroes who wouldn’t dream of leaving the toilet set up. Ever. She’s smart and sassy, at least in her own mind, and is trying her best to bring the alpha male solidly back to contemporary romance, one hot story at a time. Two years ago she never would have thought she’d be doing this, but now that she is? Well, you couldn’t pay her enough to do anything else.


Kaily’s books, PICTURE THIS, PAY UP, PLAY ME & POINT BLANK (yes, she has a thing for book titles that start with ‘P’), are all currently available from Ellora’s Cave and all other ebook outlets.























If anyone would want to contact me (which I would love by the way) or just keep up with what I’m doing, you can find me all over:

Web – www.kailyhart.com

Blog - http://kailyhart.blogspot.com/

Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/kaily.hart

Twitter - http://twitter.com/kailyhart





















20 comments:

Kaily Hart said...

Hey, Gail! Thanks so much for having me here today. And letting me talk about one of my favorite topics--guys--AND giveaway a book!

Gail DeYoung said...

It's so great to have you here today, Kaily! I love your books and your heroes -- now I know why. It's no wonder I need a cold shower after reading your books. Keep up the great work! Can't wait to read your current work in process. Thanks for sharing with us.

Marilyn Campbell said...

Wow, that guy would have made my day too...the only thing hotter for me is the same guy wearing glasses! My daughter, however, totally swoons if the guy is holding a baby or small child!

StacieD said...

Confidence is a must. He doesn't have to be gorgeous because I don't like pretty boys. I like them rough around the edges. Tall helps. Nice hands and forearms. He needs a twinkle in his eye. Like he's thinking something naughty. ;-)

Geishasmom73 AT yahoo DOT com

Kaily Hart said...

Hey, Marilyn! Glasses could work and yeah...some guys with their kids do look caring and sexy.

Stacie, I don't like pretty boys either & I ADORE rough around the edges. The twinkle is a must! LOL

Chaco Kid said...

Hot and sexy - wow... definitely a guy who treats and speaks nicely to and about women - his mom, his sister, his niece, etc. I also like a guys who shares his toys- a guy who's not afraid to let you take his car or bike for a spin because he knows you'll enjoy it as much as he does. And I'm a total sucker for a wicked twinkle in the eyes and a killer smile to match.

Chaco Kid said...

Oh, and it doesn't hurt if he looks at you like you're a tall, ice cold lemonade in the middle of a desert heatwave. oooooh.

Kaily Hart said...

CK, I like the toy sharing! Very cool if a guy can do that :). And yeah, hot guys know how to give the 'look' of course.

Callie said...

Y'all are gonna think I'm nuts, but to me there's nothing 'hotter' than a hero talking to a small child, or holding a baby. I know, I know, sounds weird, but after I describe the typical alpha, broad shoulders, hair falling over his forehead, etc. etc., I make him a REALLY NICE GUY. My editors usually fall in love with my heroes (as do I).

Gena Robertson said...

Dark hair, blue eyes that have lines from squinting in the sun, muscles from hard work, not working out, wrangler jeans that hug his booty just right, a smirk that that says, "I know I'm cocky, but you love me anyway, and I make it worth your while," the protectiveness of a feral wolf, but worships the ground I walk on and is a teddy bear with me and our kids. Yeah, now THAT'S sexy.
Now, where can I find him? lol

Gena Robertson
robertsongena@hotmail.com

Angela Dublin said...

Hey Kaily, I prefer the courteous, cowboy. The guy thats 6 ft, wearing the boots with spurs, Jeans that fit snug but not too tight under those chaps, works hard at work and at play..if you get the gist..one that can pick you up in one sweep and swing you around as he laughs hardily. Rough, tough, tips the hat, and winks with a twinkle in his eyes. The guy that gives you a boost up..and pulls the chair out, opens the door, and looks you in the eye and says...your breathtakingly beautiful!

alinaduffer said...

Hi Gail and Kaily! This is a great question. But before I answer I have to tell you my husbands response when I read the question out loud. I said "what makes a guy hot" and he replied "Blood Pressure" LOL! He cracks me up. Anyhow, my answer would have to be confidence, kindness, humor and well tall dark and handsome always help, lol! I'm a sucker for a guy in a uniform too. That's how my hubby got me :)

Have a great night!

AnnaClayton said...

Confidence and a sense of humor...that's actually funny! It's amazing how many guys think they're funny and they're really not.

A ripped torso is always nice. Definitely confidence, humor and a ripped torso, please!

Robin Covington said...

Hi Kaily! Loved your post. I'm with you - there is more than just looks that makes a guy "hot". For me, it is intelligence. I like a smart guy - not a know it all guy - but one who loves to learn and is well-read. That is very hot to ,e!

karin said...

I love tough yet sensitive. Sense of humor is a must.

Kaily Hart said...

Callie, I don't think you're nuts. I think any guy that would take the time to spend with a child is a hero...

Gena, love that quote!!

Angela, yeah...I can see the courteous cowboy for sure :).

Alina, uniform...of yeah...

Kelly, yes, let's not forget about a sense of humor. Very hot!

Hey, Robin! Yes, I think he has to show intelligence to balance all that awesome brawn LOL.

Thanks so much for everyone who stopped by and those you commented. I always love to hear what readers and other writers think! I'll pick a winner in a little while and post it. Thanks again & good luck!!

Kaily Hart said...

Karin, nothing hotter than a tough guy that can still display sensitivity!!

Author Gail DeYoung said...

I'd like to thank Kaily and everyone who took the time to post a comment. This was a great discussion and really made me think about what turns me on, too. A lot of you mentioned things that I think are hot and I agree with Kaily, it's not all about the looks. Hope you had fun and that you'll drop on by again.

Kaily Hart said...

AND THE WINNER IS (chosen by random number generator).....

Kelly-Writer Girl

Congratulations, Kelly! Please contact me on kaily AT kailyhart DOT com and we'll get your hooked up with your book of choice!

Gail, thanks so much for having me and thanks for letting me chat about a favored topic :).

jbcweiss said...

He would have to be comfortable in his own skin, have confidence, kindness, empathy, but not be a pretty boy. Some scruff is okay. Body more like that on your cover of Point Blank rather than Pay Up.