About Me

My photo
Southeast, Florida, United States
I've had a love affair with books since I was a little girl. Once I discovered that stories could take me to amazing worlds where heroes and heroines could tackle insurmountable odds and yet live happily ever after, I was hooked. My overactive imagination always questions "what if?" and I often daydream about scenarios for the next story. Living in South Florida is a dream I fulfilled. For many years now, the balmy breezes, palm trees and surf crashing upon the shoreline have satisfied my soul. They often show up as settings for my stories. I used to say that I'd try anything once, but that was before some suggested skydiving, mountain climbing and swimming with sharks. Nowadays, I prefer the comfort of my chair in front of my computer where the most dangerous thing I face is writer's block. I let my characters tackle the impossible challenges and all I have to do is make sure they have a happy ending. I welcome readers to explore the fantastic world of my imagination where anything is possible and most likely will happen. Look for my books and e-books at Ellora's Cave, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and many other fine e-tailers

My Website gaildeyoung.com

My Website gaildeyoung.com
Click on this picture to take you there

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

W.I.P.

As I sit here contemplating a hot, steamy scene for my current W.I.P. (work in process), I wonder how many other authors are sitting at their computer right now doing the same thing…well, not necessarily writing a hot, steamy scene, but just involved in writing their current W.I.P.  It’s a good feeling knowing that I actually have a story “in process”, not just an idea bouncing around in my head, or a plot that is in the formative stage. When I say I have a W.I.P. , it means I’m actually writing the story and will have something concrete to submit to my editor in the near future (which will bring a big sigh of relief).

I promised to write this book for a series called 1-800-DOM-help almost a year ago, though I did mention to the group that I was still working on “Decadent Delights” and handling all the details of my daughter’s upcoming wedding, so I wouldn’t be able to do it right away. There are sixteen authors in the group and they assured me that there were plenty of stories to keep the series going, so I could take my time.  At this point, ten books have been published, which -- for the most part -- have received rave reviews (no pressure here). With my daughter’s wedding behind me, I can focus on fulfilling that promise. I can’t wait!

Now that I’m involved in the actual writing phase, the story seems to be flowing quite well and I’m rooting for my characters to resolve their problems and fall in love. Some authors need an outline for their plot, but that doesn’t really work for me. It’s too confining, especially when my characters take over and tell the story the way they want to do it. I know when they’re ready to begin because they start having conversations in my head while I’m taking a shower or doing the dishes. I get the urge to sit down right then and capture what they said before it becomes a faint memory. If I’m lucky, inspiration hits when I’m at home and not at work, where I wouldn’t be able to work on it.  Soon, bits and pieces of the story coalesce and before I know it, an entire scene is written, then another and another. Page after page flies by as the story comes together. Eventually, I type those wonderful two words…The End.  Ah, wouldn’t it be lovely if I could just hand the book in for publishing at that point?

But NO! Never! When I get to that stage, the hardest part lies ahead. I may have put in many hours getting to that point, but the story is still a diamond in the rough. Only a few of my best friends will have the honor of reading it because I value their critique, and know I’m far from finished. It takes a fresh set of eyes to look at the manuscript and point out the flaws, i.e., the holes in the story, incongruities, etc.  Once those are worked out, there are still other elements that have to be reviewed, from proofreading for typos, to misspelled words, punctuation, formatting, names, places and times, and a myriad of other important things. This all takes time, but it’s worth it because then the editing process moves along much quicker and smoother.

So, I sit here with a smile on my face, despite the hurdles I have yet to encounter, because I know that when this story is finally ready for public consumption, I will have produced the best book I can for my reader’s enjoyment – and that’s the bottom line. The reader is the most important element in my stories, for without them, I wouldn’t have a W.I.P.  Yes, it’s a "work in process", and I love it.   

.  

       




No comments: