About Me

My photo
Southeast, Florida, United States
I've had a love affair with books since I was a little girl. Once I discovered that stories could take me to amazing worlds where heroes and heroines could tackle insurmountable odds and yet live happily ever after, I was hooked. My overactive imagination always questions "what if?" and I often daydream about scenarios for the next story. Living in South Florida is a dream I fulfilled. For many years now, the balmy breezes, palm trees and surf crashing upon the shoreline have satisfied my soul. They often show up as settings for my stories. I used to say that I'd try anything once, but that was before some suggested skydiving, mountain climbing and swimming with sharks. Nowadays, I prefer the comfort of my chair in front of my computer where the most dangerous thing I face is writer's block. I let my characters tackle the impossible challenges and all I have to do is make sure they have a happy ending. I welcome readers to explore the fantastic world of my imagination where anything is possible and most likely will happen. Look for my books and e-books at Ellora's Cave, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and many other fine e-tailers

My Website gaildeyoung.com

My Website gaildeyoung.com
Click on this picture to take you there

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Length -- Does It Really Matter?


            I know what you’re thinking. But, no, this isn’t about that topic. Well, at least not yet. You see, there is a much more important aspect of length that I wish to discuss.

Stories come in all different lengths, from a few hundred words to -- yikes – close to a thousand pages. “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows” is 759 pages. It takes a lot of stamina to do that. I truly admire authors who can work at both ends of that spectrum. It’s just as difficult to fit a convincing story into a short-short as it is to weave a tale that goes on forever. From an author’s point of view, editing a short story can be a breeze, while working with a monster could possibly take a long, long time.

But from a reader’s point of view, what is more appealing?  Do you find yourself skimming a big book, but paying closer attention to detail in shorter ones? Do you look at your unread list and decide what to read next based upon the amount of time it will take you? Would you prefer to read one lengthy novel, or five shorter ones in the same amount of time? Or does length really matter at all?

From my perspective, I prefer to read what I call “middle of the road” length books. These are stories that I can breeze through in as little as two hours or as long as four. Perhaps my preference has to do with my writing. I haven’t mastered the art of crafting the short-short. Well, not yet, but that’s a goal I will attain one of these days! Anything over 500 pages scares the heck out of me, but that hasn’t stopped me from buying quite a few of those books to put on my bookshelf. Because there aren’t enough hours of the day to accomplish all the tasks on my “To Do” list, I have to weigh my choices carefully. Ah…decisions, decisions.

Add to that my tendency to read more than one book at a time (I know – who does that?) This is a skill which I believe was bred into me by my mother who insisted that I learn to multi-task when I was growing up. The funny thing is that no matter how much time has passed since I picked up a book, I recall every detail I previously read. So when I sit down to read a book, not only do I have to decide on what length of book to choose, I have to decide whether or not to finish a previously-started book or a new one. If it is late at night and I’m going to bed soon, I have to choose something that won’t take too long in case I fall asleep.

Ah, such a dilemma! Now add to that my love of writing and well, I think you get the picture – I am juggling every minute of the day. My current WIP (work in process) needs attention, but I mustn’t forget several others sitting on the back burner brewing in my creative juices. Crafting a story takes time, and I find the longer I “sit” on a story, the more interesting the plot and characters become.

Now, as to what you thought this article was going to be about, I won’t keep you in the dark any longer. Does length matter? I used to think so, but an older and wiser me believes it’s not the length of the pole, it’s how he wiggles his worm.

 I welcome your comments.




No comments: